Wednesday 3 October 2012

Thongs vs Flip-Flops

I have new flip-flops.  Delightful Ipanemas, with right foot pandas and left foot zebras - too much fun!

When I grew up - back before the earth cooled - we had these things too.  They were called thongs.  We all had them.  And they were cheap, functional and fun. 

How did this language change?  If I send a message to my family that I have new 'thongs', they will all cringe and wonder what I am doing in Jamaica :-)  As my very wise (and much younger) sister told me, "I've spent a lifetime picking my underwear out of my ass; and now they want me to put it there!"

So here is a picture of my new thongs or flip-flops: you decide . . . . 




1 comment:

  1. LOL this post is hilarious. Your blog has sucked me in. I realize it's super old and you're probably not here anymore but I found it by way of a link on Jamaican Till I Die blog.

    Anyway, I'm reading my way through this backwards, started with the post where you were flying home from Jamaica. What a wonderful chronicle of your volunteer time in Jamaica. I know of CUSO since I'm Canadian as well, and had a friend years ago who spent a couple of years in Kingston as a volunteer.

    Great reading!

    ReplyDelete